Weight loss drink as a quick-fix for shedding those stubborn pounds is not a new idea. But it remains an effective one! Nothing beats a soul-satisfying soup when it comes to making a delectable (and filling!) meal.
Because soups are mostly liquid in nature, they put far less workload on your digestive system. This can get rid of uncomfortable bloat, help keep you regular, and ensure you don’t feel deprived. Talk about a weight loss trifecta!
What’s more, serving up soup for your meals is a fantastic way to nourish your body with quality nutrients and health-boosting antioxidants. Read on for 5 savory soups that fill you up while helping you reach your weight loss goals.
1. Black bean soup
Black beans are a healthy addition to your weight loss soup menu planning. Packed with protein, micro-nutrients, fiber and antioxidants, it’s hard to top black beans as a super-health food.
- Not only is it delicious, it’s also very easy to prepare!
- Chop up 1 onion, and sauté it with about one tablespoon of cumin, some fresh minced garlic cloves in roughly 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Once softened, pour in 3 ½ cups chicken broth, 1 large can diced tomatoes, and 1 can (15oz) of black beans.
Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring every now and then.
That’s it! Quick, simple, delicious, and filling – all while providing you with essential nutrients that nourish your body.
2. Weight loss soup 101 – cabbage diet soup, redux
Few people aren’t familiar with the decades-old “Cabbage Soup Diet.” While the origins remain shrouded in mystery, it became the most famous diet trend of the 80s.
The following recipe takes the roots of the famous soup, but adds super-healthy and filling brown rice to the mix.
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) bag stir fry vegetables
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with, undrained
- 5 celery ribs, chopped (with leaves)
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups water
- In a large pot, place your veggies
- Pour brown rice on top of vegetables
- Add seasonings, broth, and water
- Heat (medium-high) until soup reaches a boil
- Turn heat down to medium-low, cover, and let it simmer for 30 minutes
3. Mouthwatering mushroom soup
This fast and easy to prepare weight loss soup is packed with mushrooms, which are loaded with nutrients such as riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D, selenium, and more. Not only that, but they are fat-free, gluten-free, and one serving is only 170 calories!
For this soup you will need 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms, 1 sliced red onion, butter (about 3 tablespoons), 3 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth, 3 cups water, and 2 envelopes of onion-mushroom soup mix.
Use real butter, not margarine. Don’t be afraid of the butter – this often-maligned food is a healthy addition to your diet, full of fat soluble vitamins in like vitamins A, E and K2.
Start by sautéing the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Once the onions are softened, add the broth, water, and soup mix envelopes. Bring it to a boil, then simmer on medium-high for about 5 minutes.
4. Scrumptious split pea soup
A shining star in the world of legumes, the yellow split pea is chock-full of nutritional benefits. It’s rich in dietary fiber, protein, and hearty complex carbohydrates – which keep your energy levels sky high!
For an easy-peasy yellow split pea weight loss soup recipe, you will need:
- 8 oz. dry yellow split peas
- 2 ¾ cups water
- 2 oz. chopped salt pork
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
Note: the salt pork is for flavor only, and does not take away from the healthy benefits of the split peas.
Rinse and dry the split peas, then combine all ingredients in a soup pot, simmer on medium for about an hour, and you’re done!
5. Lentil veggie slow cooker soup
This rich and savory soup is full of colorful, nutritious vegetables and heart-healthy lentils, this soup is perfect for cold nights when you crave comfort-food without a hefty calorie count (240 per serving, with just 3g of fat!).
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sauté chopped onions a few minutes, until they are soft. Add the minced garlic and sauté an additional minute or two.
- Place onion and garlic mix to your slow cooker, set on high, and then add the dried lentils.
- Pour in the beef stock, add the thyme and other mixed herbs of your choice.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, water, zucchini, celery and mushrooms.
- Cover and leave in the slow cooker (on high) for about 3 hours. Once the veggies and lentils are soft it’s ready.
We all know that weight loss can be extremely challenging, for many reasons. Gnawing hunger and the feelings of deprivation while dieting can break your willpower. Including a weight loss soup – or several – into your meal rotation can help with this by filling you up without excessive calories or fat.
When you incorporate healthy, nutrient-packed soups like those recommended here, you are giving your body an excellent head start in the weight loss game. Soups that include fresh veggies and legumes are powerhouses not only for weight loss, but for overall health. The benefits of healthy soups are immeasurable!
The ingredients included in these soups have been proven to lower your risk for heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and cancer.
So next time you’re in the kitchen, put some soup on to simmer and then ladle up some weight-busting and health-boosting meals!